A friend brought over these cookies and shared them with our family. We were all impressed. It is pretty hard to get your socks knocked off by a regular oatmeal cookie, but these are exceptional. They have the chewy texture, the buttery flavor, and oatmeal nuttiness that is just perfect. I asked for the recipe and have made them several times. The recipe makes a huge quantity and the cookies freeze well when baked. I took them to a couple Christmas parties after I dunked them in milk chocolate and mini chocolate chips. Yum.
Family Favorite Oatmeal Cookies, from Jenni Birch
2 cup butter flavor shortening
2 cup sugar
2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cup flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
6 cup quick oats
2 cup chopped nuts
Optional 2 cup choc chips or 2 cup raisins and 2 tsp cinnamon.
- Cream shortening and sugars.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift flour, salt, and soda.
- Fold into creamed mixture.
- Add oats and nuts then mix.
- Add choc chips or raisins last.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookies sheets.
- Flatten cookies with palm of hand.
- Bake at 350 for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden and lightly set.
- Cool for a few minutes on the sheet and then move to wire rack.
- Makes 10-11 dozen. This cookie freezes well and keeps in the cookie jar for about a week before becoming dry.