Friday, June 12, 2009

Blackberry Crumb Bars

"A perfect marriage of tart fruit and tender cake, capped with a slightly crunchy topping."

I don't eat much sugar these days, so I am always looking for "sweet" recipes to adapt. I got this from a magazine, but I changed it so much I will call it my own. You can read more about Stevia here.

Topping, mix together and refrigerate:
6 TBS melted butter
1 cup flour (half whole wheat and half white)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Cake:
3/4 cup flour (half whole wheat and half white)
1 TBS wheat germ
1 TBS flax meal
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Stevia or Stevita powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Enough black berries (frozen okay) to cover top
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened

Mix filling and spread into a 9x9 greased baking dish. Top with berries and crumb topping. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Cut into squares.

I'm thinking that some of the butter could be reduced with yogurt or apple sauce. What do you think?

1 comment:

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

Okay, this looks GOOD. But, what's Stevia? A sugar substitute?