Friday, March 27, 2009

Crispy Chicken Salad



The Crispy Chicken Salad from Dairy Queen is a favorite meal that I crave every time of day. It is $5.39 in the restaurant, so I order it very, very rarely. Plus, I can barely handle the guilt when I make my family eat off the dollar menu just so we can afford my salad. I now make it at home and eat something similar enough to fool my taste buds about every other day. It is so good!

  • One head of lettuce, 75 cents, is enough for 4 generous portions
  • 3 frozen chicken nuggets, baked and cut up (you'll never know they were once shaped like dinosaurs)
  • Grated cheddar cheese
  • Grated baby carrots
  • Bacon, cook an entire package and it will last for about 8 salads (keep what you don't use in the freezer), or use chopped ham
  • Hard boiled egg, chopped (the original doesn't have this, but I like the addition)
  • Grape tomatoes
  • Dressing of your choice

I tried to figure out the cost of one home made salad, but it proved too difficult since many of the items are very small portions of things I keep in the fridge anyway, like carrots. How do you figure the cost of 3 baby carrots? I need a 5th grader. Due to laziness and lack of math skills, I'm going to speculate that the salad costs less than $1.50 per portion.

In any event, my Crispy Chicken Salad is quite affordable, delicious, filling, and packed full of protein and veggies.

No comments: