Thursday, July 27, 2006

Deep Dish Caribou Pizza


Now, you can use whatever kind of meat you want in this dish but to me it will always be called Caribou pizza, sentimental I guess.

1 pkg active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
1 and 3/4 to 2 cups white or whole wheat flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. each dried oregano, basil and marjoram
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion salt

toppings:

4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 large onion
2 medium green peppers
1/2 tsp each oregano, basil and marjoram
1/2 tblsp olive oil
1 cup grated parmesean cheese
1/2 lb. pork sausage, cooked and drained
1/2 lb. ground caribou (or beef or venison), cooked and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, well drained
2 oz. sliced peperoni

1. Disolve yeast in water. Add 1 cup flour, oil and seasonings, beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl and turn once to grease top. Let rise about one hour.
2. Punch dough down. Roll out and put in deep dish pan (she used a casserole dish) letting dough drape over edges. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozarella.
3. Saute onion, green pepper and seasonings in oil until tender, drain. Layer 1/2 the mixture over crust. Layer 1/2 the parmesean, sausage, caribou and tomatoes. Sprinkle with 2 cups mozarella. Repeat layers. Fold crust over to form an edge.
4. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with peperoni and remaining mozarella and bake 10-15 minutes longer.

4 comments:

Aly sun said...

Annie, this pizza variation looks very good. I want to try it!
It is funny because I had just made home-made pizza for dinner and made 2 extras to freeze for later. Then I came up to check the blog later that evening and saw this recipe, I wish I would have checked before I made my old recipe. Pizza on the brain, I guess.

Jenni said...

That looks SO good Annie! (Note to self; don't stop by this blog before lunch, I'm way too hungry)

Aunt Jenny said...

Yummm this looks great..I will be making it with some elk! I do love caribou too but havn't had any in years.

Andee said...

I made this last night. I was fresh out of exotic ground meat though, so I used plain old beef. It was soooo good. My husband will not stop tlaking about the crust. i think we have a winner.