Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Irish Bread

This recipe was given to me by my friend, Patty, from church and I am loving the ease of this bread. It is a great looking bread too and is tender and moist, even the second day. 

4 cups flour

dash of salt

2 tsp baking pwder

1 tsp baking soda

2 cups buttermilk

1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)

1/2 cup of sugar

approx 1 cup of raisins

1 beaten egg

Mix dry ingredients, then work in butter. Add raisins. Beat egg with buttermilk and add to dry ingredients. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 min and then 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes (I usually just set the oven to 375 and then when I put the bread in I just turn it down to 350 and bake for 50 minutes and check it to see if it needs to go any longer). These fit into small to medium loaf pans. My mom often makes 1 and a half of the recipe and makes 2 larger loaves or puts it into a round tube pan.

No comments: