Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Chicken Carrot Cakes


Sound disgusting? This was my way of using up the baby food I made for my 9 1/2 month old who now refuses to eat from a spoon. I've been concerned because the only thing she's eating is bread and more bread, oh and some graham crackers. She spits out any veggie or fruit I try to feed her. 

My idea was to make a bread-like food she could pick up with her hands that had all the nutrients she was getting from baby food puree. I couldn't find a recipe, so I improvised with some cheese muffins.

To 1 1/2 cup chicken and carrot puree, I added:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
2 TBS butter
1/2 cup cheese
+ milk until the desired consistency was reached (about 1/4 cup)

I baked the batter in mini muffin tins in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. The texture on these things is strange -- like a very moist, cake-like bread. I tasted one myself and found it pretty yummy. I wouldn't serve it to guests (unless they were babies), but I think this is just the thing for my independent eater. Did the baby like them? Yes, she did! She ate 7 mini muffins for dinner tonight. 

No comments: