Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Chewy Granola Bars

I came across this granola bar recipe from Jr. High Home Ec. class, and started making these instead of buying granola bars. I haven't done the math but I imagine these are so much better nutritionally than store bought granola bars (they sure TASTE better) and cheaper, too. They don't last long around my house, but if I'm lucky I can put away 6 or 8 in baggies to pack in lunches. Here is the basic recipe:

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar (I use a little less)
1/4 cup honey
1 cup melted marg. or butter
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. vanilla

Mix oats and sugar. Add melted marg. and other ingredients. Press into ungreased pan about 1/2 inch deep (8x8). Bake at 300 for about 20 minutes til lightly golden brown. Cool a bit, then cut into squares or bars.

I almost always throw in a couple small handfulls of choc. chips, and my kids really go nuts when I put in some mini m&m's. I'm thinking of trying dried fruit and nuts for more of a breakfast/snack bar. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

I made this last week and added some raisins! Super, wonderful, yummy! I think next time I will let it bake a little longer. Maybe an extra 5 or 10 minutes. Definitely go by "lightly browned".