Friday, January 04, 2008

Coffee Cake

Coffee cake is one of my favorite things to make. My husband is not a fan of traditional cake, but he loves coffee cake. I made it this evening, and since I misplaced my old standby coffee cake recipe, I went to allrecipes to find a new one. Let me tell you this, it was heavenly. It was everything that coffee cake should be.

Here is the recipe.

I made some changes to it. As you can see, I halved it for just the two of us. Except - I didn't halve the topping - I wanted extra. Also, my favorite way to eat coffee cake is with fruit on the bottom, so I sliced up two pears and put them in the bottom of the greased pyrex before I poured the batter in. I found that I had to bake it a little longer than expected - probably because of the pears.

There are few things more exhilarating to me than finding a perfect recipe. I have already planned who I will make this for and other experimentations. Allrecipes is great for me. In some ways it is even better than a cookbook because others have already experimented / commented on it. I have tried Epicurious.com with mixed results. A little too gourmet for me. At this stage in my life, with a baby, recipes have to be easy because, let's face it, I don't have the brainpower or the time.

3 comments:

Aly sun said...

This looks yummy. I love reading the reviews on allrecipes. People get so passionate about their food.
I am going to make this coffee cake soon!

Aly sun said...

I made this for MOPS, which we didn't have, and it was really, really good! We enjoyed eating the whole pan ourselves.
I am going to try and make it without the nuts next time because my mouth gets cut up from pecans and walnuts.

Annie said...

I'm so glad you liked it!