Friday, August 18, 2006

What to do with all that Rhubarb?!

I'm not sure if Rhubarb is grown all over the place but here in Saskatchewan it seems that everyone has their own plant. So far I haven't had to plant my own, I just mooch off of others and they don't mind because it's much like zuchinni in that you always end up with more than you thought you would have. Rhubarb is one of my favorites and just the other day I thought I would tackle making a pie. I had several recipes on hand for this but decided to try something a little different. Here's what it turned out to be.

RHUBARB STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE PIE

CRUST:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup lard or butter flavored Crisco (may also subract a little lard and subsitute butter)
6 to 8 tablespoons ice water (I used 6 and it was quite light and flaky)
a pinch of salt
This makes enough for two crusts. You can either use both for one pie by using half for a top or make two pies and go with the crumble topping explained below.

FILLING: (double this if you are making two pies)
3 cups chopped rhubarb, fresh works best although it can be frozen
3 cups sliced strawberries
1 1/3 cups white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Combine all ingredients and place in pie shell.

TOPPING: (double for two pies)
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons rolled oats
Combine all ingredients and blend mixture until it resembles course crumbs. Cover the filling in pie shell.

Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes. Crust should be light brown in color. To keep possible spills away from the bottom of your stove, place pie on a cookie sheet in oven. For best results, let cool almost completely before serving.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I love rhubard and I wish I had a plant. That sounds so good!

Aly sun said...

Yes, rhubard is prevelant around here too! I really want to try this pie. Thanks for sharing.